¨¨¨¨°º©©º°¨¨¨¨¨¨°º©©º°¨¨¨¨°º©©º°¨¨¨¨¨°º©©º°¨¨¨¨¨¨¨°º©©º°¨¨¨¨¨¨°º©©º°¨¨¨¨¨¨°º©©º°¨¨¨¨°º©©º°¨¨¨¨¨°º©©º°¨¨¨¨¨¨°º©©º°¨¨¨¨°º©©º°¨¨¨¨¨°º©©º°¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

Monday, July 18, 2011

Inked


Some of you have asked about mixing inks, so I thought I would do a quick post to hopefully answer your questions!

I individually hand-mix inks for each of my prints. The only time I use ink straight from the tube is when I print in black. By only using primary colors (red, yellow, blue) and neutrals (black, brown, white) I’m able to mix any color I wish to achieve, as well as cut down on total ink dollars. I prefer to use Speedball Oil-Based Block Printing Ink because it’s permanent and waterproof. Some printmakers shy-away from using oil-based ink because they think it’s difficult to clean up and requires chemicals to clean all the tools involved. However, I have found that a little canola oil and a paper towel does the trick pretty nicely, no harsh chemicals needed!
Hope that helps! 



2 comments:

Jen said...

Hmm, will have to keep the Canola oil tip in mind the next time I get out my inks - I'm curious to try that!

Sarah said...

I'm happy to hear you're going to give it a try! I keep the Canola oil in a washed-out liquid dish detergent bottle so it's easier to dispense...a few drops go a long way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...